Wednesday, May 4, 2011

On Bourgeoisie and Selfishness

I had a memorable conversation with a former professor about career, life and other people last Tuesday.

It was the afternoon when she asked me to come over and put some order on her piles/tons of children's books. (She has more children's books than our college library's Childre's Book Section.) Good thing another former student assistant of her came by and helped me.

At five, we called it a day of tiresome sorting, shelving and sorting again (I had to devise a system). Of course, it wasn't for free (haha), 'though I would still have done it without getting anything in return. Teacher gave me her copy of

(an earlier edition of this one)

which I think every Reading teacher/major should have.

Then we headed to in

Katipunan for their first Super Panalo meals. They (Teacher and ex-co-SA) didn't know that that promo exists. There was something in the carbonara spaghetti and caesar salad that made me more comfortable chit-chatting with them. Way back then, I was this reserved, tight-lipped guy who'd seldom enter into any kind of banter. Some call it insecurity. Others label it as politeness.

But that afternoon, I was a certified FC. Feeling close.
I heard my self talk, not just listen. I listen to their personal accounts on teaching, career and life.

Since I know that they are so incline to children's lit,just as i am, I asked them if they've read

. I was expecting for a vigorous YES to be followed by a series of exchanges about the book's elements. But to no avail.

My teacher, who I look up to in terms of oozing passion for children's lit, mentioned the word BURGIS in her explanation. She doesn't want to go with the flow. The bandwagon failed. I got her point.

I have a very limited mind map of the word BURGIS. I almost equate it to selfishness. Then that afternoon I was pointed back to my



Oo nga naman. Unti-unti nang nadodomina ng mga foreign writers ang Reading list ko.

"Nabasa nga nila ang Hunger Games, e' ang

, nabasa na ba nila?", she quipped.

Then a sudden realization dawned on me.
Gosh, for the past two years how many times have I worn my volunteer's hat? How many stories have I read to less fortunate kababayan? How many locally-published books have I bought? How many times have I ignored the laments of

Then, they started suggesting ways on how to lessen the BURGIS in me; how to reach out to our kapwa-Pilipino. Then we sounded too idealistic.

Oh well, better have some ideals than have nothing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment