Friday, November 1, 2013

Of Passions and Pursuits

I easily get bored. I won't last a day sloth-ing at home.

So when I'm temporarily tired of reading and studying for my next lessons, encoding exams and checking students' test papers, I turn to reading. I'm currently reading

and


After getting glasses for my deteriorating vision, I have tapered off in my reading escapades. No more reading while in transit--which was a bad bad habit. Nevertheless, I still love reading. I am still a Booksale denizen. Make that disciplined denizen, for I can now control my purchasing powers.No more Oh-I-think-I'm-gonna-needd-this-book-someday-I'm-getting-this-one moments.

I am still a #children's lit and #reading advocate to my pupils--especially in my advisory class which benefits from all the book prizes.

After my quick-stint as a mountaineer, my wanderlust tendency found its place in the world of running. I am a bit proud to have gained the discipline to hit the road at least once each week. I now take pride in getting a darker complexion after hours of being soaked in the sun. (Hello non-beach-bumming tan lines.) 

These running outfits take turns in accompanying me. (Wanted: running buddies from San Jose del Monte, Bulacan) I hope to find a bunch of crazy people who would join me in traversing the city.

During my tamad moments, I go birding. I have a pair of not-so-hi-tech binoculars and carefree spirit that would take me to the greener parts of the city. Every once in a while, I see new species. (We call them lifers in the birding community). 

There are birds other than the maya (eurasian tree sparrow). We have the (left) Asian glossy starling--with its hideous red eyes and (right) the olive-backed sunbird. I've seen these birds this morning while taking a stroll along Kaypian Road. Aside from those two, I;ve got a chance to see egrets, zebra doves, common waterhen, crow, YVB and long-tailed shrikes today.

If you need help in identifying those non-maya birds in your area, read this write-up about the 10 most common bird by Filipina birder Maia (no pun intended).

Teaching, running, reading, birding.

And that's how I kill boredom. How about you?





No comments:

Post a Comment