Sunday, September 20, 2009

30th manila international book fair

september 20, 2009

smx convention center, mall of asia



after a very relaxing retreat in don bosco batulao (except for the ride), i hurried to the mibf, afraid that i might miss it. the visit to the fair is worth the long walk/stroll along the crowded corners of the venue. i had a direction, i knew what to find--and those were the booths of publishers who publish books for kids. and luckily, i found them.



Adarna house, where Rhandee Garlitos, author of Chenelyn! Chenelyn!,was signing his so popular books. I grabbed the opportunity to ask some questions and relay stories of a plagiarism case involving his work.



Nanoy Rafael, author of Naku Naku--the PBBY Silver anniversary grand prize winner. I found out that he is from the PHAN, that he manages a website and that he is very calm. I bought his book Grand Parade, which he co-authored with Carla Pacis. Ooops, he's comfortable writing in verse form.



In Lampara Books, M. Conoza, author of Imbisibol Man, which is part of my students' reading list, was there with his kids. Tatay na tatay ang dating. James Abalos, who looked very ordinary, was there. He has illustrated four books. All in Lampara. He's from UP FA, which made me more comfortable to chit-chat with him. While I was grilling him with my "children's-lit-advocate-questions, Serge Bumatay arrived. Then they talked and we had pur pictures taken. Barkada yata sila, pati ni Leo Alvarado ng Pilong Patagu-tago.



Of my 3 MIBF trips, this one is the most memorable so far. I had enough money to buy the books that I want. I had the camera to document everything (well at least, the things I want). And I had the courage to approach authors and illustrators, and tell them that i support children's lit. And by that, I somehow display a message to those who see me going crazy over books, authors and illustrators, that there's a magic in books.



(visit my multiply site for the pictures)

No comments:

Post a Comment