Sunday, March 29, 2009

Doulos adventure


The original plan was I'm going with LJ Salceda of 702 DZAS on March 26. But things didn't turn out that way. The next date I had in mind was March 30, their last day in Manila. But, lo and behold, I was there a while ago.

Clueless on its whereabouts, I impulsively decided to drop by MV Doulos, the world's oldest active ocean-faring passenger ship, right after my tutorial in Binondo. I was half-sure of its location. Pier 13 North Harbor.So, I opened my ym in my phone to ask anyone about its exact location. Fortunately, Jenn, a former Edcirc co-mem, was online. I politely asked her to google the location of Doulos. She replied right away (Annyeong haseyo Jenn!). It's Pier 13 but South Harbor, not North. Haha.

I asked so many people on how to get there. They were

1. Manong pedicab driver in Divisoria. " Saan po ang sakayan papuntang Pier 13?" (Dun sa may Asuncion banda)

2. Manang Barker. " Ano pong dapat sakyan papuntang Pier 13, yung sa likod ho ng Manila Hotel?" (2 rides pa daw)

3. Manong Driver. " Pakibaba naman po ako sa sakayan papuntang Pier 13. (Delpan daw)

4. Manong Pasahero. "Ano pong signboard ng jeep na sasakyan papuntang Pier 13? (Pier South daw.) I found out that he would be getting off in the same place. He even told me things about Doulos. For that, nilibre ko siya)

5. Pier security guard who ignored me several times before answering my question. "Saan po papuntang Doulos?" (Liko daw ako at dumiretso lang)



With the help of those heaven-sent people, I got to MV Doulos after almost 70 minutes of travel and adventure.



So what about the real Doulos experience? I was fascinated with the multiracial crew. Koreans, Africans, Americans, Indians and a lot of Europeans. They're all friendly. Each greeted the guests with a smile. Getting on board was quite an adventure too. Climbing up that one-of-a-kind stairs was thrilling. Because if you move fast and with heavy thuds, you'd feel the stairs moving too.



I didn't buy much books. *sorry for me* I just bought a booklet about Doulos and a skyblue rubber wristband with http://mvdoulos.org/ on it . As a (student-)bookhunter, I always aim for a good book with a wallet-friendly price. There are a lot of worth-keeping books there but their prices are a bit way beyond my budget (though the books' prices are much cheaper compared to National Boostore price). And I could find (yes, I really could) the same books (but in a much lower price) in BOOKSALE BOOKSALE.



Seeing MV Doulos and taking pictures of it was a blessing in itself. The ship, indeed, is a display of God's greatness (imagine an old ship travelling miles and miles) and His people's passion to share the gospel to the world.

Btw, I saw familiar faces there. Some UP students who are members of Christian organizations were there.

Going onboard MV Doulos is really a once-in-a-lifetime experience.I don't know when it will dock again in Manila. But if it comes back, I promise to buy books ( sana may bigger budget na ako no'n).

It came. I saw it. I've conquered it.

No comments:

Post a Comment