Saturday, May 1, 2010

On Being a VJ



Volunteer Jerson (VJ) is back.



After almost two years of dormancy as a volunteer (for various causes), I finally had the enough conviction (and time motivation) to reincarnate the dying passion for volunteerism in me.



No, I wasn't apathetic about everything that is happening in our country. I read the news ( Philippine Daily Inquirer almost every Sunday); watch Unang Hirit, 24 Oras and/or News on Q ( our idiot box projects a good reception of GMA 7 and not those of the other networks'); listen to Rockedradio in NU 107.5 every Thursday night (thanks to my CD-R King MP3) and immerse in intellectual banters with my co-teachers.



But I guess those things aren't enough to show that I care for my country. It's like the adage," Faith without action is dead."



I miss my Alitaptap storytelling days and I-Clic teaching stints.



When I was still an undergraduate, I promised to Oble that I would serve the country who "sent"me to school.

That I am not an in grata.



Ha-ha.



Look at where I am right now. Count the number of things I've done to help a fellow Filipino.

Nah, 'tis better to count the stars when you wake up. There's hope that you'll find a couple or two.



Redemption.



Today, I joined a group of San JoseƱos in conducting a FREE College Admission Test Review which would end on June 5. The review is open to all high school students (yeah, not just to incoming seniors) living in San Jose del Monte. There are about 150 participants--coming from different public and private schools in our city.



Guess what subject I volunteered to teach.

English. Tama! (ala-Ai Ai intonation)



It feels so great to be a part of a worthy cause. Life becomes more worth-living. This experience taught me the value of giving without expecting anything in return.







(photo courtesy of google map)

2 comments:

  1. I didn't even feel that I lost something, although I could have spent the whole day reading Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis.

    So, I encourage you to be a volunteer. There are lots of NGOs and groups who are waiting for you.

    You can also form your own volunteer organization.


    I'll leave you with an adage from Sherry Anderson.


    Volunteers don't get paid, not because they're worthless, but because they're priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Kuya kababayan!

    Nice blog.hehe. :)
    Taga San Jose del Monte din ako..
    at tga UP ka din..

    ayun, i agree with your volunteerism post.Natry ko yan nitong election.. Astig ang filing kahit walang bayad,. The fact na naka-'ganti' ka sa bayan na nagpaaral saten,fulfilling talaga..

    goodlucksa blog mo!

    Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete