Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Power of Lucky





As a book-bunter who traverse the jam-packed world of Booksale Booksale and other second-hand bookshops, I rarely get hold of Newbery  books  that were given award in  the last ten years.



Usually, the Newbery books in my collection are the winners of the award during the twentieth century period (90s down to 30s). No, they are not the first edition of the book so they don't smell as old as their age.



Some of the Newbery (medal and honor) books I have are the following:



2001 The Wanderer by Sharon Creech

2000 Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis

1996 The Watsons Go to Birmingham: 1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis

1994 The Giver by Lois Lowry

1991 The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi

1990 Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

1984 Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary
1982 Ramona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly Cleary

1981 Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson

1978 Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

1977 Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor

1977 Abel's Island by William Steig

1971 Summer of the Swans by Betsy Byars

1971 Sing Down the Moon by Scott O'Dell

1970 Sounder by William H. Armstrong

1968 From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg

1963 A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

1962 The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare

1953 Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

1952 Ginger Pye by Eleanor Estes

1948 The Twenty-One Balloons by William Pène du Bois

1945 The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes

1941 Call It Courage by Armstrong Sperry

1936 Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink



Wow. I never thought that I have more Newbery books than I've imagined. The ones in red are those that I have read.



What motivates me to collect such books?

Simply because of the fact that they are Newbery award-winning books. They are regarded by the American Library Association as the best children's books published in the US in a particular period of time. The prestige of the award attracts me to crave for the books. And I have faith in the committee which chooses the recipients of the award.



And earlier today, I chanced upon a recent winner of the award while I was rummaging for books in Booksale-SM Fairview. I knew it was a Newbery book even if the award logo wasn't on the cover. It feels like heaven when I laid my hands on it. I got more flabbergasted when I saw the price tag--P45.00. "Am I in a dream?"



2007 Newbery Medal Winner: The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron, illus. by Matt Phelan



I rushed to the counter and purchased the book. Baka may iba pang makakita.

No comments:

Post a Comment