Wednesday, May 9, 2012

So What's New?

Tihee! I'm back. But that doesn't mean that my self-imposed writing hiatus is over.

There are just so many things that happened in the past weeks. The bottled up experiences can't be held back anymore. School. Work. Social life. So here you go with the unnecessary updates.

March 

The school year ended with a bang! I just survived the most challenging school year. The managerial (Is that what you call it?) posts really made me go the extra mile as a teacher. I've told my previous level coordinator that being a plain subject teacher/class adviser is what I really dreamt of so I wanted it that way for the rest of my career. (Yeah, I sounded so mediocre.) But with the turn of events, I was promoted as a subject coordinator and the OIC of our level. And that was the beginning of the downfall of my sanity. Haha! Good thing that the other coordinators were there to guide me. Up to now, I am still in disbelief that I am fit for the job. Anyway, I've done my utter best to live up to the expectations of my superiors. And, of course, for the students.
This is so me, except that I won't sit on my books.
(photo courtesy of T.Ruth)

The best part of the school year: Seeing my pupils bloom; moderating a book club; witnessing the graduation of my first advisory class; landing a spot in the dance and speech choir competition; having my own table in the faculty room.

The challenging parts: Scouting movement (It really isn't for me.); Hosting a graduation ceremony; editing speeches; being a good example to your subordinates; dealing with people who are difficult to deal with.

April

The highlight of this month is the soul-nourishing work for All Together In Dignity (ATD) Fourth World Philippines' Festival of Learning. For two consecutive Saturdays, I have lived the dreams I had woven when I was still in UP: to



Volunteering for ATD gave me the illusion(?) that I have given back to the people. That I am not doing UP a disservice. The venues of the activities were so far from where I lived. That was the only challenge I hurdled. Three hours of travel time was no joke, especially on a summer day. But hey, if the prize is seeing the slightest smile of the kids when they hear your tell stories, then, bring it on summer sun.

Day 1- Intimate storytelling along the PNR train tracks.
(photo courtesy of Ms. Tracy Cruz)

Day 2-Performance/ Impromptu storytelling along the road
going to Nagtahan Bridge (photo courtesy of Ms. Tracy Cruz)

One thing that made me want to volunteer again in ATD's next activities is the people behind the group. Kuya Guy is so accommodating. Answering all my directions-related questions when my instincts led me to Paco Church. Ate Anne, Susan and Sana made each volunteer feel at home. I really felt their passion for service. Ms. Tracy is a blessing for the commuter me. Those free rides saved me from getting lost again in Manila. Laine and Janela would agree with me on that.


I may have not gone to the beach this summer. But without second thoughts, I have posted on my FB that: Solb na ang summer ko. Thanks ATD for this new experience! My summer has never been this so productive. Bonus na lang if I get to do this again:

Punta Fuego shore

Happy summer everyone!

















No comments:

Post a Comment