Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Firstfruits

I've been hearing preachings about "Priority of Giving" in our church for two consecutive weeks. Here's the priority of giving that the pastor shared:

1. Tithes

2. Offering

3. First Fruit

4. Mission Offering


I'm a bit familiar with numbers 1,2 and 4. I've read and heard some info about them. Number 4 is an entirely new schema to me. According to Wikipedia, First Fruits are a religious offering of the first agricultural produce of the harvest. In classical Greek, Roman, Hebrew and Christian religions, the first fruits were offered to the temple or church. First Fruits were often a primary source of income to maintain the religious leaders and the facility. Beginning in 1966 a unique "First Fruits" celebration brought the Ancient African harvest festivals that became the African American Holiday, Kwanzaa.


So, how is it relevant to my life? For the past 5 months, I've started giving my tithes (which is kinda late 'cause I've heard about this truth several years ago). With my two part-time jobs namely--tutoring a Tsinoy kid from Binondo, and assisting in my beloved UP Reading Dept., I am earning a considerable amount of money from which I deduct my tithes. ( I thank God for giving me these jobs. )


I was fascinated with the idea of giving one's first fruits. It's really a great way of honoring God for all the blessings he has given us. It's also a way of entrusting him your finances. On the 1st week of January, God placed in me a desire to give my first fruit. So what's my first fruit? I asked." My salary for this week's tutorial? But, if I give everything, how could I survive the week without asking allownce from my mom?"

The third week came, and still I haven't decided what to give as my first fruit. During the Sunday of that week, the pastor clarified that first fruit could mean the first increase that you get this year or your first salary...it really depends on your faith. After hearing that, I was still clueless.


The next day, I went to Binondo for tutorial. When I was about to leave and ask my salary for that session. My tutee's mom asked me if I could spend another hour with his other son. Before I could answer her, the thought of giving my first fruits struck me. That was it! Eureka.


2 hours + 1 hour = 3 hours


I was on the verge of tears (of joy) when I went out of their condo. God really knows the desires of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment